Notice to all Members of the Association of an annual general meeting of the members of the Association
To be held on Saturday, 2nd August 2014 at 14:00 at Tallinn University.
European Association of Social Anthropologists (“the Association”)
Company Number: 05181210; Charity Number: 210807
An agenda detailing the business to be transacted and resolutions to be proposed at this annual general meeting is attached to this Notice.
Members’ rights to appoint proxies
Each voting member of the Association has a right pursuant to the Companies Act 2006 to appoint another person (“Proxy”) to attend, speak and vote at the annual general meeting on Saturday, 2nd August 2014 on his or her behalf. Any person wishing to appoint another person as his or her Proxy must deliver the Proxy Notice to the Association’s registered office (for the attention of The Secretary) not less than 48 hours before the annual general meeting on Saturday, 2nd August 2014 (in our case this would normally be done by email).
- Apologies for absence
- Minutes of previous AGM held on Friday, 5th October 2013
To approve the minutes as a true record of the meeting.
- Annual Report and Accounts
To receive the Annual Report and Accounts for the year to 31st December 2013.
- Appointment of Auditors
To reappoint Friend-James Ltd, Park Gate 161-163 Preston Road, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 6AF, UK, as the Associations’ accountants and to authorise the Trustees to approve the remuneration.
- Other Executive reports
President, Secretary, Journal editors, Book series editor, Network editor
- Governing document
The Association members will be asked to consider and pass the special resolutions set out in the Appendix attached to this Agenda.
- Executive and Journal information
End of term offices, New appointments, Elections 2015 dates)
- EASA 2016
- Any other business/ requests by members
Appendix to Agenda: Special Resolutions
The Executive committee has been working on bringing the EASA 'constitution' into a form that better fits current company and charity law, and current practice within EASA. Consequently the Executive proposes the following amendments to its governing document.
That the Association adopt as its Articles of Association the draft Articles set out in the document annexed hereto in substitution for its present Memorandum and Articles of Association.
That the Association adopts as its Objects of the Association:
The objects of the Association are to promote education and research in social anthropology by improving understanding of world societies and encouraging professional communication and cooperation between anthropologists, especially those working in and on Europe.
Summary of changes
- Clauses 1 to 8 of the Association’s Memorandum of Association which, by virtue of section 28 of the Companies Act 2006, are to be treated as provisions of the Articles, are now within the Articles and the said clauses 1 to 8 and the existing Articles are numbered according to the order in which they appear in the draft Articles
- Clause 9 (Interpretation) of the Association’s Memorandum of Association (now treated as a provision of the Articles for the purpose of the Companies Act 2006) is deleted and the current Article 23 ( Interpretation ) is amended to include additional definitions and numbered Article 3
- Anomalies in the ability of Members to attend speak and vote and hold office are removed by distinguishing voting Members from Members in general throughout the draft Articles
- Use of electronic communication for notices meetings and voting is permitted
- The number and manner in which Trustee appointments are made is clarified
- The manner in which general meetings are held has been clarified
The following documents are available for inspection:
1. revised document with new objects (PDF)
2. revised document with old objects (PDF)